Cards Anyone?
While in the kitchen
the other day,
my oldest son asked me
to tell the story of how
his father and I met.
"Well," I said.
"It's quite a funny story
actually."
His father gave me
a concerned look
from the sink.
"It all began when
we took a course
together at the
SFU School for
The Contemporary Arts.
Your dad was the Assistant Director
in a production of Brecht's,
The Measures Taken."
"I was getting in all
sorts of trouble for
incorrectly saying,
'With loud and
resounding voices.'"
"Your dad was asked
to stand in front of me,
with his back to
the director,
and listen to me
practice the line
again and again,
until I got it right."
My son looked from
me to his father.
"And?" he inquired.
"Well, your dad started
to laugh, and I got
in even more trouble!"
His dad chuckled as
he loaded the dishwasher.
"We ended up taking the
bus home together one day.
We were having a great
conversation when,
your dad suddenly
jumped up
and ran off
the bus,
saying that he had
to go."
"I totally checked
my pits,
and sniffed my breath,
completely baffled
by his sudden
disappearance."
"What happened dad?"
"I, uh..." Chris stammered.
"He had to pee." I cut in.
"He told me the next day
on the phone."
I proceeded.
"We started dating.
He kept taking me to this
place called
A Slice of Gourmet.
But he was slow
to make the moves."
"Hey, hey!!! I think you
should stop there."
His dad said adamantly
from inside the
fridge.
"What do you mean?
This is the best part!"
I plowed forth.
"One day,
when your father
dropped me off,
I asked if he wanted
to come over
after work."
"Your dad reminded me
that he worked until
midnight.
So I said..."
"Woa, woa woa,"
Chris interjected.
"You can't tell him this!"
"Why not?" I persisted.
"He's old enough
to handle the truth."
I continued.
"I asked him if
he wanted to come over,
and stay over.
And he did."
"And?" asked Dez
with a glowing smirk
on his face.
"We played cards.
Twice!"
I retorted.
And the three of us
laughed until we
burst!
Sally
No comments:
Post a Comment