Followers

Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Good Evening!
      This one took me all day! This is a Cento, which means patchwork in Latin. It is made up of lines from other poets, intertwined with some of my own text. It speaks to a topic that has really resonated with me. I'd love to hear your opinions, and insights to any corrections or inaccuracies in my quotations. Thanks for letting me share!

Refuse to Stay Quiet!


“…never yielded to conformity
     But stood like kings
In a chariot that’s riding on
     A record wheel.” (The Cat Empire)


I was fueled and perturbed
when I heard the news,
about a band of rebel ladies
who were speaking the truth.
Have we not learned our lesson
about freedom of speech?
Have we not been told by the greatest souls
who have taken time to teach.
So many brilliant people
have learnt it all before.
Let the universe know we’ve evolved,
we’ve opened a new door.

Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.
Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.

Listen to the great ones,
and remember every lesson.
No one should be in jail,
for having an opinion.

Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.
Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.

We’ve known for hundreds of years
that we’re made of the same blood.
We all have traditions, thoughts and beliefs,
and a right to our freedom.

“One tribe ya’ll
We are one people.” (The Black Eyed Peas)


“If you prick us, do we not bleed?
if you tickle us, do we not laugh?
if you poison us, do we not die?
and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?” (William Shakespeare)

"Music is a universal language for all people” (Above The Law)

“And who decides what’s right to hear? You?
I want the right to speak,
I want the right to walk where I wanna,
yell I’m gonna.”(Ice T)

“…what they’re really trying to do is shut off our access to
information
itself.” (Jello Biafra)

“Imagine life without a choice at all
Given no hope without a voice at all.” (Jurassic 5)

Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.
Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.

A group of musical ladies
singing out against the government.
Charged and sentenced as hooligans,
leaves the world in awed wonderment.

“…and some of us are very hungry now to hear what it is you’ve done that was so wrong. 
…A singer must die for the lie in his voice,
And I thank you, I thank you for doing your duty,
You keepers of truth,
you guardians of beauty.” (Leonard Cohen)

“We gotta make a change…
Let’s change the way we eat, let’s change the way we live
And let’s change the way we treat each other.” (Tupac Shakur)

“If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change.” (Michael Jackson)

Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.
Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.

Let’s stand behind these woman,
let’s help them in their strife.
Let’s speak out against injustice,
as they pay with years of life.

“Stand up, all victims of oppression
For the tyrants fear your might.” (Billy Bragg)

 “Emancipate yourself from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds.” (Bob Marley)

“Ain’t no fascists gonna stop me, no Nazis gonna keep me,
From marching down freedom’s road.” (Ziggy Marley)

“So don’t be afraid to let them show
Your true colors.” (Cyndi Lauper)

“I hope some day you’ll join us
And the world will live as one.” (John Lennon)

“That will be the day when all of God’s children
will be able to sing with a new meaning…” (Dr. Martin Luther King Junior)

Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.
Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.

Listen to the great ones,
and remember every lesson.
No one should be in jail,
for having an opinion.

Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.
Refuse to stay quiet.
Free Pussy Riot.

Sally

1 comment:

  1. This is a really cool poem auntie! I've never heard of this style before and I love what you did with it :) xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete