Followers

Thursday, 18 April 2013

  Weight

Today I felt
the weight.
The immense
encumbrance
that defines
my role
as a parent.

She was
hurt
by hateful
words,
displayed
for everyone
to see,
on the
cowardly
screens
of the
e-world.

He was
exhausted.
Wisely coming
to the
quick
conclusion
that working
sucks
even more
than school.

My baby
cried himself
into a
tizzy,
worrying,
buckling
under the
pressure
to produce.
To live
up to
his own
expectations.

How do I
convince them
that it's worth
the effort,
when it
doesn't
get any
easier?

I told her
those same
fools
will be
pumping gas
into her
Limo
one day.
She
laughed,
and agreed
they weren't
worthy
of her
emotion.

We played
Jurassic 5
really LOUD
on the way
to work,
and agreed that
GREAT music
was just one
of the many things
worth working
your ass off
for.

I kissed him
and told him
that he
wasn't alone.
Together we
coloured his
Campbell's 
soup can,
while he
ate waffles
dipped in
his grandmother's
home-made
blueberry sauce.

Today I felt
the weight.
The immense
encumbrance
that defines
my role
as a parent.


Sally






No comments:

Post a Comment