Followers

Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Thank you to my sweet librarian friend for inspiring this poem. You complimented my work, and ended up being a fiendish character in it! You are entirely sweet and adorable. Thanks for letting my imagination have a heyday!

         Instinct

I was flying through,
as I always do.
Halfway in between
doing one thing
and another.
My peripheral vision
spotted her in the corner.
I smiled,
and started into
my whooshing exit
when,
I saw it.
Her right arm,
rising in slow motion.
Followed by a plodding
mechanical
pointing and beckoning
of her outstretched
finger.
Calling to me.
Summoning
my presence.
In a panic,
I recounted my most
recent fly-through
in my mind.
Was I talking too loud?
Did I have an unwelcome beverage?
Had I messed up the
Dewey Decimal System?
I gulped,
and headed towards her.
Willing my body
to move.
I reluctantly
arrived.
As she opened her
mouth to speak,
I closed my eyes,
anticipating
the wrath.
"I like your blog."
she said.
Blink
Blink
She likes my blog.
"Thank you!"
I muttered.
I looked at her face,
her warm and
genuine smile.
I exited the library,
shaking my head
with embarrassed
relief.
I have got to
stop watching
horror films
at night.
Turning the corner,
I failed to see
the ghoulish
hellion
remove the
grinning mask,
and fall
impishly onto the floor.
Slithering into the
bookcase,
it left a
moist trail
of poisonous
ooze
and sat
hovering.
Awaiting its
next opportunity.

Sally




No comments:

Post a Comment