The Forbidden Union
It was 27 years ago,
to be exact.
I was 15
and attending a private school for girls
in Montreal.
I was living amongst the
orthodox,
who had a rule for everything.
I was at an age
when breaking rules
seemed like the obvious thing to do.
I befriended a man
which was not allowed.
We talked on the phone
which was not allowed.
We met one evening
which was not allowed.
We sat in a rental car
making smoochy face.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't allowed either.
So when the cops pulled up
and told us we were in
big trouble,
we complied
and confessed to our
forbidden union.
The cops got bored with our story
when they realized we were not
the runaways
they were looking for.
They let us go
back to our homes,
where we knew
our actions
would be criticised.
We hovered in
secret
clandestine, chance meetings
that went on for
months.
When I finally returned
to the West Coast
he called me.
Did I mention that he was 21?
Did I mention that he was a
Rabbi?
He asked if I wanted him to
wait
for me.
He asked if I wanted to commit at 15
to marry him at 18.
I said no.
I was worried that I would
miss too much
if I agreed to take
the first fish
I hooked.
In retrospect,
I think I made the right choice.
I would have made a terrible Rabbi's wife!
Sally
haha!
ReplyDeletei think you're right!