Followers

Thursday, 19 July 2012

Tim Burton Doesn't Even Know That I Exist

I was 17 when I first saw
PeeWee's Big Adventure.
I'd loved
PeeWee's Playhouse
and the thought of him
in a feature film
cracked me up.
It ended up doing
far more than that.

It was my first Tim Burton
hangover.
The lasting impact
and weighty effect
of Burton imagery.
The result was
magical.
The experience
opened up doorways
and windows of thought.
It ignited a surge of
creativity that
flowed freely
until the next
Tim Burton
inspiration.
Beetlejuice
Edward Scissorhands
The Nightmare Before Christmas
I have yet to be
disappointed
with any of his
work.

In me,
he has inspired drawings, poetry
and even screenplays.
In 2008
after watching
Vincent
I felt compelled to create my own
tribute
called Tim.
Using Vincent as a guide
I wrote the poem
and the script
for a short
movie.
I had a friend film it
featuring
my whole family
and
the neighbourhood kids.
It took an entire
unforgettable
year.
In the grand scheme of things
it was an aesthetic disaster.
My first film
a $300.00 budget
and
talent that needed far too many
popsicle breaks.

I sent it to Tim Burton
for his 50th birthday.
I'm not sure if it got
anywhere near him,
but I never received a response.
As a matter of fact
I'm pretty sure that
Tim Burton doesn't even know that I exist!
And I'm OK with that.
I don't think that
I'd ever want to meet him.
I'd probably
pee myself
or cry
and I'd rather not.
I'm happy to remain an
anonymous fan
who seeks and absorbs
him as a 
muse
again
and again
and again.

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment