I didn't ask for the Grand Slam.
No pancakes on the side.
I didn't want waffles or fancy fruit,
or a slice of pie.
I just wanted two eggs and toast.
A simple basic meal.
Despite consistent effort,
I cannot catch a deal.
So bear with me if I erupt
with bold anxiety.
I just wanted eggs and toast,
and maybe a hot tea.
The plethora of options
are always in my face.
Yet even with the planning
it always seems a race.
This strong dissatisfaction
does not just manifest,
in the early morning
during my breakfast.
It carries on throughout the day
a constant, strong reminder.
Of all I've failed to do and say,
the ways I could be wiser.
Until I find that which I seek
I fear you'll be subjected,
to a time bomb with a short fuse
not easily detected.
So when I ask for eggs and toast,
just take it with a shrug.
And know I'd love the great surprise
of being offered a hug.
Sally
No comments:
Post a Comment